The fabrics that can be used to sew designs for women are extremely diverse. Women can wear many different designs, from the most personal to the lightest, even men’s clothes, and when they do, they will show their power and strength.
Choosing the right type for a women’s costume project is also a big challenge for designers. This article will provide all the information about the most suitable fabrics to use for women’s fashion design.
1 Cashmere fabric
Cashmere fabric is a wool fabric woven from the hairs of the Cashmere goat, a type of goat that lives in the Gobi desert and Central Asia. It is a type of wool with a smooth surface and is much softer than other types of wool. is a special fabric, widely used in the production of winter clothing or accessories.
Besides, using this fabric to design suits that both have the independent beauty of modern women and blend with the softness and lightness of the inherent beauty of women is also a good idea.
- has very good heat retention.
- Cashmere wool produces products with extremely soft surfaces, allowing users to feel at ease at all times.
- does not make the wearer feel heavy; the ultra-light yarns turn the complex outfit into a lightweight item.
- Cashmere fabric is very expensive.
- Cashmere absorbs water very quickly.
- Elasticity is average.
The main material of cotton fabric comes from the cotton plant. Since ancient times, when cultivation developed, cotton plants have been found and grown popularly in countries around the world. After picking cotton, people will use them to pull and weave each fabric.
Cotton fabrics are made from synthetic fibers; they are either made from natural cotton fibers or mixed with other man-made fibers. This is a very popular fabric widely used in the fashion industry today with outstanding advantages such as good sweat absorption, ventilation, wear resistance, and ease of dyeing.
Cotton fabric also has the property of resisting the penetration of mold and dirt, is a natural source of materials, is safe for the skin, and does not cause allergies or rashes.
- gives the wearer a feeling of freshness and comfort thanks to its high moisture absorption and good absorption capacity.
- Cotton-blend fabric is cheaper than other blended yarns due to the readily available and easy-to-find materials.
- It has a long shelf life, dries quickly, and can be used in the same washing machine as other detergents.
- Children and those with sensitive skin may benefit from 100% cotton fabrics. And it’s biodegradable, so it’s eco-friendly.
- The cost of cotton fabrics depends on their origin and brand.
- Compared with other high-grade materials such as modal, Tencel, etc., cotton fabric has high stiffness.
This is a fabric made from the cellulose of eucalyptus wood. It was introduced in 1972 and has been popular ever since. This pulp is dissolved and spun, then woven together to create a strong yet incredibly smooth fabric.
To produce this fabric, the wood bark of these trees will be preliminary processed and ground into powder, then spun into fibers using nanotechnology to create absolute safety and friendliness for the health of the user.
Tencel fabric is considered a sustainable fabric because, compared to other rayon fibers, it is more environmentally friendly and the production process emits fewer harmful substances.
- Tencel fabric gives a soft feeling and does not cause discomfort to the user.
- The fabric has high breathability, so it does not cause any discomfort to the wearer.
- Before drying, if you drape it lightly, when the clothes are dry, you can use them immediately without straightening them.
- Despite extensive use, the fabric does not deform or shrink.
- Tencel’s fabric has a very good color adhesion ability.
- Being a biological fabric and having to undergo a rigorous and expensive production process, the price of Tencel fabric is really high.
Linen is a widely used, durable, and lightweight fabric that is made from the flax plant. Linen is known as a strong, durable, and absorbent fabric. Linen is made from shells, fibers, or the fiber of the flax plant. They have the ability to absorb quickly and also fly faster, so they are favored by everyone as one of the most suitable materials for hot summer days.
- Linen is two to three times stronger than cotton and dries very quickly.
- Fabric has a smoother sheen and is softer than other materials.
- The natural fibers in linen hold dye better than some other materials.
- Linen is naturally resistant to bacteria.
- 100% linen is anti-irritant for sensitive skin and children’s skin. Besides, it is also very environmentally friendly because it is biodegradable.
- Poor elasticity and stretch: If you iron or fold the fabric in the same place repeatedly, the linen fibers will break.
- The fabric is prone to wrinkles during use.
Silk fabric is a naturally woven fabric made from silk fibers created by insects. Silk fiber is a natural protein fiber composed mainly of fibroin. Fibroin is produced by a variety of larvae, but the majority of silk in the world is produced by Bombyx mori larvae.This worm lives on mulberry trees.
with gloss, brightness, and high durability. Silk is a symbol of luxury because it is expensive to produce and feels soft and elegant. Therefore, silk fabric is one of the most commonly used fabrics in high-end fashion designs.
- With the advantage of high moisture absorption, the wearer will feel cooler.
- Silk fabric is lighter in weight than other fabrics.
- It has a glossy finish that feels light to the user.
- The fabric is also very durable.
- In summer, silk fabric is cool, but it stays warm in winter use.
- When the fabric encounters high temperatures, it will not deform.
- With ingredients of natural origin, silk fabric is very suitable for people with sensitive skin.
- When exposed to sweat, it is easy to turn yellow.
- very difficult to color.
- The elasticity of silk fabric is not as good as some other fabrics.
Satin fabric is also a “relative” of silk fabric. Satin is the name of the knitting technique that makes the fabric structure tight thanks to the knitting process of the weft and warp threads. In earlier times, satin fabric was only made from silk and cotton fibers.
People also began to use synthetic fibers such as polyester, viscose, or other fibers to weave satin fabrics. Satin fabric has a natural iridescent color, and the surface of the fabric is smooth and dust-free. Depending on the type of silk in the fabric, satin can be light, rough, matte, shiny, soft, graceful, or stiff. This is the best-quality fabric on the market today.
- Satin fabric has an iridescent beauty to the fabric surface that few other fabrics can match.
- Satin fabric is very light and thin; when touched, it is extremely soft and does not cause allergies to the wearer’s skin.
- Satin fabric has the ability to regulate body temperature very well.
- The fabric is cool and absorbs sweat well in the summer and keeps the body warm in the winter.
- Satin fabric has a variety of colors to help consumers easily choose the one that suits their personal preferences.
- It is very difficult to hold and easily scratched by sharp objects, especially nails.
- Washing and preserving satin fabric is also very sophisticated, especially silk satin, which must be dry cleaned.
Viscose fabric, also known as rayon, is a woven fabric created from regenerated cellulose fibers in plants such as soybeans, bamboo, and sugarcane. This fabric is structurally similar to cotton and has the special properties of being soft, cool, and non-stretch. Viscose fabric is a semi-synthetic fabric made by extracting cellulose from wood pulp.
The fabric has a smooth shine, so it is often substituted for silk. Viscose fabric is made from wood pulp, which is a natural ingredient, but to form the fabric, it has to go through a long process catalyzed by chemicals, so the new viscose fabric is considered a semi-synthetic fabric.
- Viscose fabric is very breathable, helping the wearer to always feel cool and not cause irritation on hot days.
- The viscose fabric does not fade with repeated washing, which keeps the product looking fresh and new.
- Viscose also has good moisture absorption, so it is very suitable for sewing sportswear or for those who exercise a lot or sweat.
- The surface of the fabric is very soft, so it does not cause discomfort to the skin.
- Viscose fabric is considered a very soft fabric and can be substituted for silk.
- Compared to silk, viscose fabric has a lower price.
- After each wash, the viscose fabric will usually shrink a little.
- Because of the fabric’s high hygroscopicity, it is easily susceptible to mold growth.
- The quality of the fabric will be degraded if it is exposed to high temperatures.
- Viscose fabric, when soiled, will be very difficult to wash.
Gabardine is a dense embossed fabric with high abrasion resistance. It has been used in outerwear since the 19th century. Gabardine is a fabric produced from fine wool and cotton, usually woven.
The warp and weft of gabardine fabric woven in twill are also denser than usual. During weaving, the trusses are thrown at an oblique angle to the fabric and vice versa. For this reason, the fabric is waterproof.
- The material is resistant to stretching and does not deform after washing.
- Despite the high density, the fabric is light and soft for a comfortable feel.
- retains heat well without causing evaporation.
- withstands mechanical stress and crushing.
- Good breathability.
- A stiff-bristled brush can remove the majority of material dirt.
- Natural materials fall into large folds, so the fabric has the ability to pleat beautifully.
- Gabardine is prone to crumbling in cuts.
Tweed is a fabric woven from natural wool fibers with a plain or twill weave technique. Tweed is coarse, has a flexible texture, and is woven more tightly than wool. The fabric is woven by twisting woolen threads together into one layer, two layers, or possibly three layers to give thickness to the fabric. Tweed fabric is used to make jackets that are both warm and fashionable.
- The tweed fabric is thick, so it can resist wind and water.
- The products of tweed fabric are highly biodegradable, so they are extremely friendly to the environment.
- Tweed fabric is very durable.
- The fabric is wrinkle-resistant.
- The fabric is made from natural wool fibers, so it is suitable for most skin types.
- Fabric’s ability to retain heat is high.
- Fabric that has been completely soaked in water will be very heavy.
- The breathability of the fabric is very low.
10 Bamboo fabric
The term “bamboo fabric” is used to refer to a number of different woven fabrics made from the stalks of the bamboo plant. In fact, fabric has been made from bamboo since thousands of years ago, but only now has the process of turning bamboo into fabric been fully implemented and produced the best product.
Bamboo fiber is made from a powder extracted from bamboo, then combined with a number of other safe ingredients to produce a fabric with a solid texture that is also safe for the environment.
- Bamboo fabric is highly antibacterial, keeping you odor-free and smelling good.
- Bamboo fabric is also antistatic and UV resistant, rejecting 98% of harmful UV rays, providing the wearer with yet another benefit from bamboo clothing.
- high sweat absorption.
- Bamboo fabric has the ability to stay cool in hot temperatures, and these properties are also maintained in the fabric form.
- Extremely strong insulation keeps the wearer cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- One of the softest and most comfortable fabrics
- Since the fibers are not chemically treated, they are naturally softer without any factors that irritate the skin.
- Bamboo fabric tends to shrink, although not much; after many washes, the shirt can be noticeably smaller.
- Although this fabric is good at absorbing sweat, it takes longer to dry, so it takes longer to dry.
11 Rain cloth
The rain cloth originated in faraway Italy. Thanks to the classic Roman bridge, people came up with the idea of weaving fabric in this shape. The paths of the threads curled up like the Ponte Roma bridge. And since then, this fabric has been popularly woven in Rome, Italy.
Rain Cloth is a double-knitted man-made fabric composed of components such as polyester, viscose, spandex, and rayon. In addition, rain cloth is also known as “Ponte Roma” because its weaving is similar to that of the classical Roman bridge.
Rain cloth is made by knitting two layers of fabric together using two sets of needles. Rain cloth has two identical sides and is highly durable.
The characteristic of this fabric is that it has a heavier structure than other knitted fabrics. If the fabric has a greater percentage of certain materials, it will have properties according to those materials.
- The fabric has a spandex component that helps stretch the fabric for comfort.
- Because the material is neither too thin nor too thick, it is ideal for purchasing in the fall or late at night when the wind is cold.
- Polyester yarn helps the fabric not to wrinkle much.
- A rain cloth is suitable for almost all skin types.
- The viscose fiber in the fabric gives the product good absorbency.
- Thanks to the polyester composition, the fabric is strong, keeping the shape of the product.
- Fabric is easy to color when washed, so the color of products may fade over time.
Lace fabric is a special type of fabric that is made by braiding, looping, or twisting to create holes or gaps in the surface of the fabric. In addition, there is a method of punching holes in the available textile material.
Fabrics are often much more recognizable than other fabrics due to their sparse texture and many holes. Usually, lace fabric is white and embroidered with decorative patterns. Colors evolve over time to meet the changing needs of consumers.
- The fabric does not stretch and has high colorfastness.
- Fabrics have a variety of designs, rich colors, and delicate patterns.
- Fabrics can be easily combined with many different materials to create eye-catching effects.
- brings comfort and ease to the wearer.
- The fabric is very easy to tear if entangled with a sharp object.
- When fabrics are washed by machine, the pattern structures on the fabric are easily broken, causing the fabric to deteriorate quickly.
Modal fabric is derived from cellulose fibers that come from wood pulp produced from parts of the oak tree. Although the material is made from plants, the manufacturing process uses chemicals such as sodium hydroxide and carbon disulfate, which is why Modal fabric is considered a semi-synthetic fabric.
However, because it is made of biological materials, this fabric is still safe and friendly to the wearer. Modal fabric is softer and more airy than viscose, so the price is also much higher.
Modal fabric has excellent elasticity, softness, and moisture-absorption properties. Moreover, an outstanding feature that only this fabric possesses is its high antibacterial ability. Today, you can easily come across many products designed from this fabric, such as clothes, socks, gloves, etc.
- has very high breathability, so it is very suitable for the production of sportswear and summer clothes.
- The elasticity of Modal fabric is very good.
- Compared to cotton, modal fabric is twice as absorbent.
- The fabric is tightly woven, so the durability of the fabric is also ideal.
- Modal fabric does not shrink when exposed to water or through long-term use.
- The fabric does not wrinkle after each wash.
- Modal fabrics must undergo many different chemical reactions. Therefore, some people will be allergic to these substances when using them.
Today’s jacquard fabric is made from many different types of fibers, be it cotton, silk, or even PE synthetic fibers… The standout feature of this fabric is that its thickness is usually greater than that of other fabrics. Others.
Jacquard fabric is a patterned fabric that is woven directly onto the surface without printing or embroidery like other textured fabrics. The characteristic of jacquard fabric is that on the right side, the pattern will be prominent and the left side will sink in. Jacquard fabric is flat and feels soft to the touch.
In the old days, Jacquard fabrics could only be woven on silk fabrics. Today, jacquard fabric can be made from a variety of fibers, from natural cotton (cotton) to man-made polyester. Jacquard fabric woven with polyester material will have the added feature of very good water resistance. The weaving technique used to create jacquard fabrics is what makes them so popular.
- Jacquard fabric always creates a highlight for the wearer with its unique and sharp patterns.
- Fabric fibers are tightly linked together to create toughness for the fabric.
- Jacquard fabric is very durable; used for a long time, it can still keep the product’s newness.
- Compared to other fabrics, jacquard fabric is still a fairly expensive fabric.
- Jacquard fabric has a higher thickness than other fabrics, so it will make the wearer feel hot.
Chiffon fabric was originally made entirely of silk, but in 1938, nylon fabric was invented and became the main raw material for making this fabric. Today, chiffon fabrics can be made from synthetic fibers such as nylon or polyester.
Chiffon fabric is a luxurious, lightweight fabric that is plain woven, meaning that a single weft thread alternates above and below a single warp. The fabric has a slight sheen and a slightly rough surface to the touch. In addition, the fabric has a certain drape and shimmer to make it more luxurious and noble.
- The fabric is hypoallergenic, so you can rest assured that you can use it for a long time.
- The fabric is very light, making it very comfortable to wear.
- The fabric is very difficult to wrinkle and also has a slight shine that makes chiffon so much more beautiful.
- The fabric is quite thin, so when using it, it needs a lining.
- Fabric is difficult to clean.
16 Final words
Each fabric will give the wearer a different experience. And for the project to have eye-catching and suitable designs for women, choosing the right fabric is one of the most important things for any brand. Make the best choice for your project
Henry Pham (Pham Quang Anh), CEO of DONY Garment
This year, we have found that many international buyers are seeking new suppliers based in nations outside of China and Thailand to purchase many goods and products, including uniforms, workwear, reusable cloth face mask, and protective clothing.
At DONY Garment, we are proud to welcome international customers, especially those based in the US, Canada, the Middle East, and the EU market to discover the professional production line at our factory in Vietnam.
We guarantee our products are of the highest quality, at an affordable cost, and easy to transport across the world.