The culture of hip-hop, rap music, and skateboarding has exploded the streetwear fashion trend. Streetwear is not just fashion, but a lifestyle with freedom and freedom. The fashion of this trend is not constrained by any order or rule, but just enough to create a very different highlight.
There is a very special thing about this type of fashion in that each individual and each country will have a different style of streetwear. There is no fixed norm for this type of fashion.
But you should have a certain knowledge of streetwear before designing. And as a starting point, we’ll provide you with fabrics that you can use to design for streetwear.
Corduroy is a velvet fabric. It got its name because it is a woven fabric with twisted threads resembling “rope”. Developed from an ancient Egyptian cotton weave known as “fustian,” corduroy has been worn quite a bit throughout history. This material usually consists of tufted cords. Corduroy can be thought of as a form of stiff velvet, with many cords placed parallel and sewn together.
Corduroy’s most outstanding features are durability, ease of washing, high temperature ironing, and excellent sweat absorption. Corduroy is used to make trousers, jackets, shirts, and many other fashion items.
- Simple to clean
- It can be flattened at a high temperature.
- Excellent sweat absorption
- Because of the thickness of the fabric, it is recommended to use corduroy designs only in autumn or winter.
2 French Terry
French Terry is a soft, comfortable fabric usually made mostly or entirely of cotton. It is usually made of 100% cotton, but it can also be created by blending yarns. cotton with small amounts of spandex, lycra, rayon, or polyester, as well as organic soybean or cotton yarn.
French Terry is commonly used in sweaters and sweatshirts, where piles of soft fibers are located on the inside of the fabric where the material touches the body, and the smoother side of the fabric is on the outside of the garment. The comfortable, plush, soft texture created by herringbone spandex blends perfectly with lounge outfit basics like cozy sweaters and sweatshirts.
- comfortable texture
- Soft and luxurious
- Soft fabric keeps the wearer cool in warmer weather.
- A good fabric at an affordable price.
- not suitable for sports products as the texture is quite wool-like.
Pique fabric is also known as crocodile fabric. This material is derived from a famous French brand – Lacoste. Designers have chosen pique fabric to launch t-shirt product lines. Because pique fabric is not smooth and flat like cotton, Therefore, the ability to absorb sweat is extremely good with high ventilation. That is why it is very popular with consumers.
- soft and comfortable to wear.
- eye-catching effect from large, breathable, cool fabric eyes.
- It has good absorbency thanks to the cotton component in it.
- There is good elasticity because there are spandex fibers that create elasticity and stretch.
- The material does not contract.
- High applicability
- The price of this fabric is quite high.
- The fabric quality is not smooth.
Usually, fleece is made from polyester. Fine polyester fibers are woven into a lightweight fabric and then combed to create a dense fabric. Sometimes other natural fibers are woven into the material, such as wool, hemp, or wool. or rayon to give the fabric a distinct texture or vibrancy. It can also be made from recycled plastics like plastic water bottles, giving it an eco-friendly advantage while being inexpensive.
Fleece’s properties make it extremely useful for keeping warm, especially outdoors. It has a superimposed surface on both sides of the fabric, meaning that each side has a layer of cut yarn. Air pockets can get between fibers in this surface, which means the material can stay warmer than other conventional fabrics.
- can keep you warmer than other common fabrics.
- Enduring quality
- made from recycled plastic, so it’s eco-friendly.
- Resistant to moisture
- not recommended for sewing summer designs because of the thickness of the fabric.
Twill silk fabric developed as soon as people found silk to make this fabric. Many people have heard that since 6000 BC, the wife of the Emperor of China has noticed the soft, fluffy cotton from the silk threads that the worms have created.
For that reason, the lady found that these shady and light silk threads were extremely suitable for wearing costumes for kings as well as the aristocracy. And from there, silk fabrics developed and spread to Asian and European countries.
Silk twill fabric has two properties: physical and chemical. With chemical properties, this fabric has very good heat retention due to its relatively low conductivity. Besides, when reacting with acids, silk fibers can shrink or decompose.
In terms of physical properties, this twill fabric offers a shine and smoothness that is superior to other brands. Not only that, when leaving them under natural light, people will see the elegance and sparkle of the wearer.
- Thin and light
- Has a very good ability to retain heat due to its relatively low electrical conductivity
- Superior shine and smoothness compared to other brands.
- When leaving them under natural light will see the elegance and sparkle of the wearer.
- easily stained by sweat, especially when the wearer uses white fabric.
- In the absence of careful storage, twill fabric will easily termite, affecting the quality.
6 Blended Polyester Fabric and Woven Polyester
This is a synthetic fiber with a characteristic composition of petroleum-based ethylene. Basically, polyester is also a plastic. Finished polyester yarns are formed by chemical polymerization and come in four basic types of yarn: staple fiber, roving yarn, fiberfill yarn, and filament yarn.
This is a lightweight, durable, and affordable fabric. It is often used to blend with other fabrics to produce fabrics with wrinkle resistance and outstanding properties. Besides, the abrasion resistance of polyester is extremely remarkable, and this is really a fabric with extremely flexible properties, suitable for the needs of many users.
- The weight of the fabric is light and smooth.
- very reasonable price
- Durable fabric quality.
- Good anti-mold and anti-wrinkle
- Simple to clean
- Static electricity has a tendency to make hairs on arms, legs, and other body parts stand up. If touched by others, the fabric may cause a slight electric shock.
- Polyester fabric is quite hot and does not absorb sweat well, so it is not popular on hot summer days.
7 Blend of nylon fabric and woven nylon fabric
A blend of nylon fabric and woven nylon fabric is a fabric made entirely of synthetic materials because it does not contain components of natural fibers. Therefore, the cost of this fabric is much lower than other fabrics.
Unlike other fabrics, nylon fabric is completely free of organic ingredients. When looking at it, nylon fabric usually has a certain luster. When looking at it, it will feel soft, but when touched by hand, it is slippery, not as luxurious as natural fiber fabric.
Nylon fabric when in contact with water will be less hydrated or the water absorption rate will be very slow. This fabric is composed of both polymer and synthetic components, so the fabric is very durable. The products of nylon fabric have a long service life.
- Fabric properties for limiting wrinkles are quite good.
- When there are strong impacts on nylon fabrics, they have a very high self-healing ability.
- This is a very good color fastener.
- Products made from this fabric, after washing, often dry very quickly.
- much lighter in weight than other fabrics.
- The production cost of this fabric is low.
- The inability to absorb sweat should make the user feel uncomfortable every time it is hot.
- This is a low-stretch fabric.
- It is not biodegradable, so it is easy to pollute the environment.
8 Heavyweight jerseys
Heavyweight jerseys are not a material but, strictly speaking, a weave. Jersey fabric is a horizontal knit of knitted fabrics made from a single thread, resulting in a smooth and flat surface. Jersey fabric usually has two distinct right and left sides, but with the development of science, it has been improved into two right sides.
The jersey fabric was originally knitted from wool, but nowadays cotton or synthetic fibers are used to weave the jersey fabric. Due to its flexibility and good stretch, jersey has become a popular choice for a variety of clothing items, especially fashion for hot summer days.
- The fabric is lighter in weight than other knitted fabrics and is made from the fastest-producing knitted yarn.
- The surface of the fabric is smooth, smooth and heat-insulating.
- The fabric is flexible and can stretch without deformation.
- Breathable fabric with high moisture absorption
- Easy to color and hard to fade, good color retention after a long time of use.
- The thickness of the fabric can make users in the tropics feel quite hot.
Known for being a plain, lightweight woven fabric, it is usually created from pure cotton, although it can also be made from linen or silk. Similar to denim, most of the time, chambray comes in different shades of blue.
Chambray is commonly used to make clothing items such as skirts, dresses, pants, tops, and shorts. It is a fine and dense fabric. Although another weave is incorporated to make chambray, this fabric is usually much more breathable and lighter than denim.
- It can be used to sew clothes both in summer and winter.
- It has excellent moisture absorption, making sure you don’t sweat.
- It easily removes stains and is machine washable.
- like denim but with lighter fabric.
- Wrinkles easily.
- may shrink if washed improperly.
- require regular ironing to keep from deteriorating
Suede fabrics can be derived from any type of animal skin used in the manufacture of normal leather. The key difference between suede and other types of leather is that suede fabric is derived from the underside of animal hides, whereas most leathers are derived from the top side of animal hides.
The underside of animal skin is much softer than the outside, but it also has less property that is resistant to stains and stains. Therefore, suede is often considered a luxury material; while it lacks more durability than normal leather, it is a lot softer to the touch and more comfortable to wear against the skin.
- Soft skin surface
- Extremely long-lasting quality.
- Adding elegance to the wearer
- It absorbs water and dirt easily.
- Cleaning is difficult.
- Not much elasticity.
- high price
Mesh fabric is also known as mesh fabric. This is a material made from PVC or PP (derived from petroleum and nylon fiber). However, this fabric is not a modern material; it has been around for a long time (about 1888) and has been used in the fashion industry to bring new breakthroughs.
Mesh fabric is characterized by a strong, durable but lightweight, non-waterproof texture. They are almost different from most of the types available on the market today. While ordinary fabric has a smooth surface and tight knitting, mesh fabric is woven quite “loosely”, with many holes. The density of links is usually small and uniform.
- The elasticity of the fabric is good but strong, so it is very little elastic and loses its form.
- Mesh fabric is thin but very durable.
- Fabric is always flat and hardly wrinkled.
- Super “easy” material, easy to maintain and clean.
- High and wide applicability, good price, easy to use.
- can be waterproof.
- Mesh fabric’s ability to retain heat is quite poor.
- Low absorbency
- Thin and not able to keep warm.
is a woven fabric that is interlaced with cotton, polyester, and cotton blends. Oxford clothing first appeared in the 80s in England; its name is named after a famous university here.
- The fabric has a smooth, high-quality surface and can withstand external impacts through functions such as: waterproof, water slide, … suitable for almost all countries’ weather on countries.
- Thick fabric with strong woven fibers helps prevent sharp objects from being cut during use.
- sensitive to the sun, so it is important to avoid places with high temperatures.
Poplin fabric, also known as tabinet fabric, is a plain weave fabric that has a tight weave with a fine warp and a coarser weft. Poplin fabric can be made from many different ingredients, such as cotton, polyester, or spandex.
It has a ribbed texture that runs along the grain. The weft threads run the width of the fabric, have more thickness, and stand out more, creating a ribbed effect. The combination of different thick and thin fabrics makes poplin strong, sharp and soft.
- Poplin fabric is plain woven, so it has a very soft and smooth surface.
- No wrinkles
- Providing the user with delicate, luxurious, and precious beauty.
- has high durability.
- Anti-wrinkle will make folding very difficult.
- Posing is difficult.
- Poor elasticity and low heat retention
Drill fabric with a tight texture and a thick weave gives the fabric a durable nature. Originally, this fabric was used for military purposes and is commonly used in the designs of shirts, safari jackets, sneakers, uniforms, and chef coats due to its versatility and resistance to high wear.
- High strength and wear resistance.
- Versatile, it can be used for many designs.
- Good breathability
- If the washing process is not guaranteed, the fabric will shrink.
15 Final words
Each fabric will bring different fashion spirits, and it is up to the designer to choose which fabrics the project needs. We hope that the above article will help you to have many suitable choices to be able to complete your project.
Henry Pham (Pham Quang Anh), CEO of DONY Garment
This year, we have found that many international buyers are seeking new suppliers based in nations outside of China and Thailand to purchase many goods and products, including uniforms, workwear, reusable cloth face mask, and protective clothing.
At DONY Garment, we are proud to welcome international customers, especially those based in the US, Canada, the Middle East, and the EU market to discover the professional production line at our factory in Vietnam.
We guarantee our products are of the highest quality, at an affordable cost, and easy to transport across the world.