Sports swimwear needs to meet the user’s needs to exercise and swim underwater. In order to do that, the brand should use fabrics with good performance and good engineering, such as being able to reduce traction in water.
Besides, it is to ensure the aesthetics of swimwear. Finally, the most important thing when starting a costume project is to make sure that the user will feel comfortable and satisfied when using the brand’s design. With all due respect, we would like to have the honor of discussing the fabrics used in the manufacture of swimwear, from bikinis to shorts.
1 Characteristics of fabrics used to produce swimwear
To start the discussion, we need to clarify the necessary properties to be able to choose a satisfactory swimsuit fabric, what those properties should be, and what conditions must be met.
The most important element of a swimsuit is that it fits snugly, neither too open nor too tight. The purpose is to help the body not be hindered by the weight of clothes when swimming.
Besides, they also help users cover sensitive parts and enhance the curves of the body. Therefore, the material for sewing swimwear needs to ensure good elasticity. This makes it easy for the wearer to run, jump, or exercise during swimming.
has a beautiful and eye-catching pattern
Women wear swimsuits when they are most confident in their attractive bodies. Therefore, swimwear fabrics need to show personality, dynamism, and confidence. Outstanding colors and many colorful motifs are always the first choice when sewing swimwear.
Adapt well to the environment
All current swimwear models are sewn with high-strength fabrics. Unlike regular clothing, swimwear is directly exposed to sea water and sunlight. Therefore, swimwear fabrics need to adapt well to this environment, limiting rot or corrosion.
2 How many styles of swimwear are there?
We arrive at popular swimwear designs after the brand has determined the required properties of swimwear. Please refer to this and consider a variety of perspectives on the brand’s project.
A bikini is also known as a two-piece swimsuit; one piece is used to cover the upper body and one piece to cover the lower body. The advantage of this type of swimsuit is that it shows off the seductive ant waist. A bikini symbolizes the youth and youthful beauty of a woman. Bikinis are the most ideal beachwear choice for girls who are confident in their appearance.
Tankini will help cover the second round if you are not confident or have defects in this body part. A tankini is also designed in two pieces; the top pieces are usually a shirt or camisole.
Tankini is considered a savior for women when they do not want to show too much when going to the beach. Although not too revealing like a bikini, you can also rest assured to choose a tankini because they have quite attractive and eye-catching designs.
Monokini is a one-piece swimsuit, but it is modified with delicate cutouts. It can be said that, with colors and designs that are real, monokinis are a new breeze for women’s beach fashion trends. They are more discreet but show beautiful curves that are stretched from the bust to the hip.
Monokini does not reveal too much of the body, so it will give those who like privacy more confidence to choose to use it. Monokinis are ideal for girls who like to stand out but are not too daring.
3 Recommended swimwear fabrics
Let’s discuss the final content of good fabrics to use in the manufacture of swimwear to help you make the best choices for your project.
Lycra is the name of a fabric that is woven from the main material of ordinary fibers combined with spandex yarn. A special feature of this fabric is that the percentage of spandex yarn is quite high, about 30–40%. Thanks to that, Lycra fabric has many outstanding features.
Lycra fabric is a very stretchy synthetic fabric. Lycra fabric is a polymer made up of long chains of monomers linked together by a special acid. The material is rated to be 8 times more elastic than the original size; not only that, but Lycra also has very good heat resistance.
Swimwear made of Lyrca fabric is very light and soft. They bring maximum comfort and convenience to the user. This fabric dries quickly, which is an excellent feature. In addition, they also work to prevent the invasion of bacteria and reduce the impact of UV rays from the sun’s rays.
- Lycra has very good elasticity.
- The fabric surface is very soft and smooth.
- enhance the aesthetics of swimwear.
- The fabric is also very durable.
- Fabric is more expensive than other fabrics.
- Lycra fabric, when exposed to high temperatures, is easily deformed, so it is best to limit exposure to the sun.
Microfiber fabric (also known as “microfiber”) is an ultra-fine synthetic fiber with a very small size. The diameter of a microfiber fiber is less than 10 micrometers, or one-fifth the diameter of human hair. Microfiber fibers are very fine; they are 100 times finer than human hair and 2 times finer than silk.
Microfiber fabric is composed of two main components, polyester and polyamide, in which polyester accounts for a higher proportion of 80% while polyamide accounts for a lower proportion of 20%.
However, the ratio of these two components may vary depending on the production unit and the needs of the consumer, but the percentage of polyester still accounts for at least 70% of the microfiber’s texture.
- The colorfastness of microfiber is very high.
- machine-washable or hand-washable.
- Microfiber fabric brings comfort to the user.
- outstanding antibacterial ability.
- The life span of swimwear using microfiber fabric is usually very long.
- Microfiber fabric absorbs water; the weight will be large, and if it is raining or less sunny, the bathing suit will take longer to dry.
Polyester, also known as Poly, is a synthetic fabric that was born a long time ago, around 1951. This material is actually derived from coal, air, and petroleum. To create polyester fabric, scientists conducted chemical reactions between alcohol and acid. From there, many molecules randomly combine to form a large molecule with a similar structure.
100% polyester fabrics can have permanent pleats, and decorative shapes and patterns can be laser cut. They are also highly resistant to stains, so they are great for cleaning.
100% polyester clothing is prone to static buildup, which can cause mild electrostatic shocks. To eliminate this problem, polyester is often blended with more stable fibers, such as cotton. With the advantages such as breathability, water resistance, and durability of poly cotton, it is often used for manufacturing swimwear.
- good water resistance.
- perfect wrinkle-resistant polyester fabric.
- does not absorb dirt and is easy to clean.
- Color fastness is excellent.
- Economical price.
- 100% polyester clothing is prone to static buildup, which can cause mild electrostatic shocks.
Nylon is the generic name for a group of synthetic polymers collectively referred to as polyamides. Nylon is the most widely used form of polymer today. The nylon fabric is perfected in the lab, so the process of producing the fabric is actually quite difficult.
Nylon is essentially a crude oil-based plastic. A fiber is transformed into a fabric after undergoing a specialized chemical treatment process. Nylon fabric is made from chemicals formed in carbon reactions in coal and petroleum at high pressure and temperature.
The advantage of this fabric is that the surface is light, airy, and smooth. They help the wearer be gentle and comfortable when performing arm-stretching movements or pedaling during swimming. The product has excellent elasticity, is suitable for many sizes, and is convenient for mass production. Nylon has low absorbency and does not weigh down when swimming in the water. The fabric dries quickly and does not cause squeaks or discomfort after swimming.
- The fabric surface is stretchy and smooth, with good elasticity to help the wearer easily perform operations while swimming.
- The fabric is durable, with properties that help it hug the body.
- easy to clean.
- The fabric is waterproof, so it will also dry very quickly.
- Nylon-spandex fabric, when exposed to high temperatures, especially in sunlight, will make the fabric surface easily fade.
Sheer fabrics are fabrics made with fine or low-density knitted yarns. The fabric can be perceived as a semi-transparent and fragile fabric. Sheer fabric is a commonly used fabric in production.
Swimwear is sewn from sheer fabric to give the wearer a seductive and sexy look. Girls who pursue a sexy and personality-driven style are very fond of dresses made from sheer fabrics.
Sheer fabric helps users show off their body beauty skillfully without being offensive or too revealing. Not only that, this fabric also has many advantages, such as being thin but gentle, creating a comfortable feeling for the wearer, but its disadvantage is that it is very difficult to coordinate and maintain hygiene.
- Make the wearer look seductive and sexy.
- Sheer fabric is one of the world’s lightest fabrics.
- This fabric will create a feeling of absolute femininity and beauty.
- As a delicate fabric that is easily damaged during chemical exposure, sheer fabric is quite difficult to clean and maintain.
Lurex is a material that first began to be used in ancient Egypt, Babylon, and Saudi Arabia. Master plates have been prepared from pure silver and gold. The blacksmith flattens material to the point where it becomes very thin and soft.
Then such sheets stretch the yarn. In the 13th century, lurex production was refined: silver thread was wound on a thin layer of gold, and this workpiece was then wound on silk thread. Use such material for hats, jewelry, shoes, and clothes.
Lurex fabric is made of metal thread, produced mainly from silver and gold. The end fabric may be coated with metal or plastic, but the metal must be present as an outer coating or at the core of the fabric.
Lurex fabrics are manufactured in one of two ways: through lamination or by metallization. The shimmery shine of Lurex fabric adds a touch of glitz and glamor to traditional swimwear pieces.
- retains its shape remarkably and has excellent durability.
- Versatile clothing will go with any outfit, including swimwear.
- Thanks to modern developments, materials have become finer, more flexible, and stronger.
- long lifespan
- easy to take care of
- The material is not afraid of direct sunlight or mechanical stress.
- high weight and oxidation (this applies to materials made of metal fibers)
- some kind of expensive lure
Muslin is derived from mousseline, which is a plain-weave fabric with the main material composition of 100% cotton yarn, which is known as a fabric that has existed for a long time and is meticulously woven with hand-woven yarns.
It is quite thin but has timeless durability and a smooth texture. Due to being woven from the finest cotton fibers with many soft layers, muslin fabric is very soft, light, and breathable.
The material appearing in the famous artwork was loved in France and widely traded by Iranian traders. porous, lightweight, and skin-friendly. Muslin fabric, although almost see-through thin and light in weight, has a very thick texture and a ruffled texture that creates the characteristic folds of cotton fabric.
The outside of the fabric looks extremely delicate, but it is more wear-resistant and very practical in use. All muslins are made of only natural fibers, with no other synthetic inclusions. Therefore, muslin fabric is very benign and safe for sensitive skin and does not cause allergies or skin irritation when worn.
- Muslin is 100% perfect for all ages and all skin types.
- Muslin is durable over time and easy to clean and wash.
- very fast drying time
- Muslin has a rustic beauty because of the natural creases of the fabric.
- Muslin fabric is extremely soft and absorbent and dries quickly.
- The only downside of muslin is that it shrinks and wrinkles easily.
Linen fabric is one of the oldest fabrics in the world. Linen fabric is woven from the fibers of the natural flax plant. Linen is a completely natural fabric. People take the stem of the flax plant, a plant that originates near the lakes in Switzerland, split it into fibers, and weave it into cloth. The fibers are hand-woven and relatively large; each fiber can be seen on the surface of the fabric as well as felt by the hand very clearly.
Natural linen fabric is especially safe and user-friendly. Besides, the fabric is much more durable than other fabrics. Linen fabric also has good absorbency, creating a comfortable feeling when used. The reason is that linen fabric is composed of natural linen fibers, so it is quite airy and cool.
Linen fabric also has good heat resistance and can be dried in direct sunlight. The light linen fabric is one of the most noticeable features. Most of the time, when choosing summer clothes and swimwear, people often choose non-woven linen fabrics that are both durable and airy, but at an affordable price.
- The ability to absorb and evaporate quickly helps the surface of the swimsuit to dry naturally and quickly.
- Linen fabric is of natural origin and is environmentally friendly. easily degradable when not in use.
- The natural luster creates a luxurious feel.
- Just touching the surface will feel the coolness of the fabric.
- Friendly to the user’s skin
- very poor resistance to friction.
Lace fabric is said to have originated in Venice (Italy). This is where the first book about lace patterns was published. By the 1600s, lace fabric had become more popular and was produced in many other famous textile countries, such as Belgium, England, France, Spain, etc.
Lace fabric is a special type of fabric that is braided, looped, or twisted to create holes or gaps in the surface of the fabric. Besides, it is also possible to use the method of punching holes in existing textiles. With swimwear made from woolen fabrics, the higher the number of threads and stitches, the better the quality of the lace fabric.
- People who wear swimwear designs made of lace fabric will feel comfortable and easy to wear thanks to the thin, light, transparent texture.
- There is no stretch and the color is very fast.
- Bringing elegance, sophistication, and nobility to the wearer
- It can be easily combined with many different materials to create eye-catching design effects.
- If you machine wash the fabric, it will be damaged faster.
- The fabric is quite thin, so swimwear using lace fabric should have a lining on the inside to avoid being offensive.
Crochet is the name of a loose fabric that was popular in fashion in the 1970s, with knitted lines or patterns such as embossed lace made up of thin materials such as wool or crochet lace. When it was first introduced, crochet fabric was often used as decorative items such as tablecloths, vase liners, cup holders,…
With the development of fashion, this crochet and embroidery fabric is sought after by brands and used to make beautiful patterned swimwear. Crochet is often associated with knitting, which is a lightly woven yarn, and it can be created using a single crochet hook. The crochet process is similar to the lace process, but crochet pieces are usually not as delicate as lace pieces.
- The thinness of the crochet pattern will not make you hotter.
- Relatively light weight
- make the wearer stylish while still ensuring a feeling of comfort.
- The surface is not as soft as knitted fabrics.
Voile is derived from the French word “veli.” Originally, chiffon was woven entirely by hand from cotton yarn and was used to sew curtains. The chiffon fabric is then used to sew the headscarves for the bride on the big day.
Voile is a fabric derived from man-made fibers that brings softness, lightness, a sense of flight, and comfort to the wearer. Chiffon has a certain thinness and lightness, which makes it an ideal material for those who like elegant fabrics and fashion lines.
Not only stopping at monochrome chiffon, today’s chiffon fabric is transformed into floral-printed chiffon, glossy chiffon, stamped textures, or combined with other lace and silk materials.
Chiffon has a high shedding rate. Thanks to the shedding of the material, chiffon clothes always keep their folds down and do not wrinkle. Suitable for sewing feminine-style swimsuits with a light and fresh feel.
Voile has a certain thinness and natural softness. This adds charm and softness to the wearer. With its thinness, chiffon always has a certain airiness and coolness. Therefore, it is very suitable and popular to use in the summer to sew swimwear for girls.
- Swimwear made from voile fabric will not wrinkle or crease.
- With its fragility, voile always has a certain airiness and coolness.
- Various designs and colors
- Respect the softness and tenderness of the wearer.
- For those who have a round, full, and plump figure, they should limit wearing chiffon because this material will round the body more.
Gauze originate from the Palestinian city of Gaza and are made of silk for the production of clothing. A thin cloth made of cotton or silk is used to cover surgical wounds to prevent direct contact and minimize wound adhesion.
Besides that, it is also used to cut clothes, including dresses and blouses, curtains, and loose, unstructured baby carriers. Thanks to its airy weave, it’s the perfect fabric to wear during the hot summer months. Gauze fabrics are soft and allow air to pass easily; they are also quite healthy for the user, as gauzes rarely cause an allergic reaction in anyone.
The most common type of gauze is woven gauze, which includes a unique technique in which weft warp threads are twisted around warp weft threads to create an interlocking pattern. This technique also results in a soft gauze texture and creases.
- fabric that dries quickly
- Gauze fabric has excellent breathability, making it perfect for swimwear use.
- lightweight and extremely flexible fabric
- The price of the fabric is quite good.
- Do not use concentrated bleach on gauze fabric.
Chiffon fabric belongs to the group of shuttle fabrics with a simple structure and a semi-mesh weave. Swimwear made from chiffon often has a soft, seductive, and luxurious beauty.
In addition, the fabric leaves many impressions on customers thanks to its smooth and soft characteristics, but it feels a bit rough to the touch with a moderate gloss. At a glance, this fabric also reminds us of lace fabric because the design is somewhat similar, but chiffon fabric has narrower holes than lace fabric.
Not only that, but the thin and smooth fabric due to being woven with shuttlecocks also helps them have a higher softness and drape than many other fabrics. Currently, to meet the needs of users, this fabric has also developed and has many different types; depending on the percentage of the materials formed, they will also have their own properties.
- The fabric, when worn, will be extremely cool in summer weather conditions.
- This fabric still has a pretty good surface, and with normal impacts, it is really difficult to make them tear.
- Chiffon fabric is produced from fibers of synthetic plant origin, so it is very safe for the skin.
- This fabric is considered to be more humane than fabrics using animal hair.
- Chiffon fabrics are very wrinkle-free, and they have anti-static properties.
- This fabric catches light quite well, so it is also prone to fading when exposed to a lot of sunlight.
4 Final words
The fabrics used to make swimwear need to be quick-drying and breathable, in addition to being skin-friendly, so that the wearer has the confidence to work on the beach and underwater.
Put yourself in the position of the user of the brand’s swimwear so that you can know what the user needs to be able to meet the user’s needs in the best way. We hope that the above discussion can help you make the best choices for your project and brand.
Henry Pham (Pham Quang Anh), CEO of DONY Garment
This year, we have found that many international buyers are seeking new suppliers based in nations outside of China and Thailand to purchase many goods and products, including uniforms, workwear, reusable cloth face mask, and protective clothing.
At DONY Garment, we are proud to welcome international customers, especially those based in the US, Canada, the Middle East, and the EU market to discover the professional production line at our factory in Vietnam.
We guarantee our products are of the highest quality, at an affordable cost, and easy to transport across the world.